Tuscarawas County Criminal Court

Tuscarawas County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Tuscarawas County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Tuscarawas County.

Tuscarawas County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Tuscarawas County will take place at the Tuscarawas County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Tuscarawas County Criminal Court Locations.

What happens in Tuscarawas County at an arraignment?

In Tuscarawas County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Tuscarawas County Criminal Court

Tuscarawas County Criminal Court

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Tuscarawas County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Tuscarawas County Required Court Appearances

In Tuscarawas County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

I need help for my Tuscarawas County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Tuscarawas County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Tuscarawas County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Prosecutor in Tuscarawas County

In Tuscarawas County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Tuscarawas County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Ohio. For the most part, the prosecutor in Tuscarawas County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Jury Deliberations in Tuscarawas County

In Tuscarawas County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Tuscarawas County Criminal Court Locations

  • Tuscarawas County Court of Common Pleas – General Trial Division

    Address: 125 E High Ave, New Philadelphia OH 44663
    Phone: 330-365-3243 Fax: 330-602-4682

  • Tuscarawas County Court of Common Pleas – Juvenile Division

    Address: 101 E High Ave, New Philadelphia OH 44663
    Phone: 330-365-3252 Fax: 330-364-3190

  • Tuscarawas County Court of Common Pleas – Probate Division

    Address: 101 E High Ave, New Philadelphia OH 44663
    Phone: 330-365-3266 Fax: 330-364-3190

  • Tuscarawas County Court – Southern District

    Address: 336 E Third St, Uhrichsville OH 44683
    Phone: 740-922-4795 Fax: 740-922-7020

  • New Philadelphia Municipal Court

    Address: 166 E High Ave, New Philadelphia OH 44663
    Phone: 330-343-6797 Fax: 330-364-6885

  • Midvale Mayor’s Court

    Address: 3111 Barnhill Rd, PO Box 227, Midvale OH 44653
    Phone: 330-339-1939 Fax: 330-339-8986

  • Newcomerstown Mayor’s Court

    Address: 124 W Church St, Newcomerstown OH 43632
    Phone: 740-498-6161

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.