Darke County Criminal Court

Darke County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Darke County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Darke County.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Darke County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Prosecutor in Darke County

In Darke County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Darke County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Ohio. For the most part, the prosecutor in Darke County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Darke County Criminal Court

Darke County Criminal Court

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Darke County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

What happens in Darke County at an arraignment?

In Darke County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

I need help for my Darke County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Darke County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Darke County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Darke County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Darke County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Required Court Appearances in Darke County

Any required court appearances in Darke County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Darke County Criminal Court Locations

  • Darke County Court of Common Pleas

    Address: 504 S Broadway, Greenville OH 45331
    Phone: 937-547-7336

  • Darke County Court of Common Pleas – Probate/Juvenile Court

    Address: 300 Garst Ave, Greenville OH 45331
    Phone: 937-547-7345 (Probate) Fax: 937-547-1945

  • Darke County Municipal Court

    Address: 504 S Broadway, #7, Greenville OH 45331
    Phone: 937-547-7340 Fax: 937-547-7378

  • Bradford Mayor’s Court

    Address: 115 N Miami Ave, Bradford OH 45308
    Phone: 937-448-2718

  • Union City Mayor’s Court

    Address: Phone: 937-968-6664, x5 Fax: 937-968-4884

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.