Paulding County Criminal Court

Paulding County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Paulding County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Paulding County.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

What happens in Paulding County at an arraignment?

In Paulding County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Paulding County Criminal Court

Paulding County Criminal Court

Who can help me in Paulding County?

For general information about your case the Paulding County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Paulding County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Who is the prosecutor for Paulding County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Paulding County criminal cases will either be a representative of Paulding County or a representative from Ohio. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Jury Deliberations in Paulding County

In Paulding County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Paulding County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Where will Paulding County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Paulding County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Paulding County.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Required Court Appearances in Paulding County

Any required court appearances in Paulding County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Paulding County Criminal Court Locations

  • Paulding County Court of Common Pleas – General and Domestic Relations Divisions

    Address: 115 N Williams St, #104, Paulding OH 45879
    Phone: 419-399-8210 Fax: 419-399-8248

  • Paulding County Court of Common Pleas – Probate/Juvenile Division

    Address: 115 N Williams St, #202, Paulding OH 45879
    Phone: 419-399-8256 Fax: 419-399-8261

  • Paulding County Court

    Address: 201 E Caroline St, Paulding OH 45879
    Phone: 419-399-5370 Fax: 419-399-3421

  • Antwerp Mayor’s Court

    Address: 118 N Main St, PO Box 1046, Antwerp OH 45813
    Phone: 419-258-1357 Fax: 419-258-2636

  • Oakwood Mayor’s Court

    Address: 228 N 1st St, Oakwood OH 45873
    Phone: 419-594-3352

  • Paulding Mayor’s Court

    Address: 116 S Main St, Paulding OH 45879
    Phone: 419-399-4614 Fax: 419-399-3316

  • Payne Mayor’s Court

    Address: Phone: 419-263-2414, x100 Fax: 419-263-3510

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.