Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Brown County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Brown County.

Where can I get help for my Brown County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Brown County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Arraignments in Brown County

During an arraignment in Brown County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Brown County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Brown County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court

Who is the prosecutor for Brown County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Brown County criminal cases will either be a representative of Brown County or a representative from Ohio. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Where will Brown County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Brown County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Brown County.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Brown County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

Sentencing in Brown County

In Brown County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Mandatory Appearances in Brown County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Brown County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Jury Deliberation

In a jury trial in Brown County, after both the prosecution and defense have rested, the judge will give instructions to the jury and jury deliberations will begin. The jury will convence in a private room to discuss and deliberate the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once the jury arrives at a unimanous decision, they will inform the judge that they have reached a decision. They will return to the court and the verdict will be read aloud. If the jury cannot reach a unaminous decision, the jury is said to be deadlocked and a mistrial will be declared in the case.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Brown County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Brown County Criminal Court Locations

  • Brown County Court of Common Pleas – General and Domestic Relations Divisions

    Address: 101 S Main St, Georgetown OH 45121
    Phone: 937-378-4740 (Civil/Domestic Relations) 937-378-3100 (Criminal)

  • Brown County Court of Common Pleas – Probate and Juvenile Divisions

    Address: 510 E State St, PO Box 379, Georgetown OH 45121
    Fax: 937-378-4729

  • Brown County Municipal Court

    Address: 101 S Main St, Georgetown OH 45121
    Phone: 937-378-6358 (Court) Fax: 937-378-2462

  • Aberdeen Mayor’s Court

    Address: 99 Main Cross St, PO Box 509, Aberdeen OH 45101
    Phone: 937-795-2214

  • Fayetteville Mayor’s Court

    Address: 81 W Pike St, Fayetteville OH 45118
    Phone: 513-875-3251

  • Georgetown Mayor’s Court

    Address: 301 S Main St, Georgetown OH 45121
    Phone: 937-378-6395 Fax: 937-378-4505

  • Hamersville Mayor’s Court

    Address: 202 W Main St, Hamersville OH 45130
    Phone: 937-379-1851

  • Higginsport Mayor’s Court

    Address: 204 Jackson St, PO Box 121, Higginsport OH 45131
    Phone: 937-375-4115

  • Mt. Orab Mayor’s Court

    Address: 211 S High Street, PO Box 466, Mt. Orab OH 45154
    Phone: 937-444-2281

  • Ripley Mayor’s Court

    Address: 120 Waterworks Rd, PO Box 219, Ripley OH 45167
    Phone: 937-392-4377 Fax: 937-392-4378

  • Russellville Mayor’s Court

    Address: 203 E Main St, Russellville OH 45168
    Phone: 937-377-9129

  • Sardinia Mayor’s Court

    Address: 151 Maple Ave, Sardinia OH 45171
    Phone: 937-446-3807

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.