Washington County Criminal Court

Washington County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Washington County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Washington County.

Who can help me in Washington County?

For general information about your case the Washington County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Washington County Criminal Court

Washington County Criminal Court

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Where will Washington County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Washington County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Washington County.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Washington County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Washington County Required Court Appearances

In Washington County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Prosecutor in Washington County

In Washington County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Washington County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent New York. For the most part, the prosecutor in Washington County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

What happens in Washington County at an arraignment?

In Washington County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Washington County Criminal Court Locations

  • Washington County Surrogate’s Court

    Address: 383 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828
    Phone: 518-746-2545 Fax: 518-746-2547

  • Washington County Court

    Address: 383 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828
    Phone: 518-746-2521 Fax: 518-746-2519

  • Argyle Town Court

    Address: 41 Main Street, PO Box 38, Argyle NY 12809
    Phone: 518-638-8681 Ext. 13 Fax: 518-638-6823

  • Cambridge Town Court

    Address: 846 County Route 59, Cambridge NY 12816
    Phone: 518-677-5896 Fax: 518-677-5896

  • Cambridge Village Court

    Address: 56 North Park Street, Cambridge NY 12816
    Phone: 518-677-8297

  • Dresden Town Court

    Address: 102 Clemons Center Road, PO Box 44, Clemons NY 12819
    Phone: 518-499-1382

  • Easton Town Court

    Address: 1071 State Route 40, Greenwich NY 12834
    Phone: 518-692-0027

  • Fort Ann Town Court

    Address: 80 George Street, PO Box 295, Fort Ann NY 12827
    Phone: 518-639-4088 Fax: 518-639-8665

  • Fort Edward Town Court

    Address: 118 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828
    Phone: 518-747-2252

  • Fort Edward Village Court

    Address: 118 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828
    Phone: 518-747-2252

  • Granville Town Court

    Address: 42 Main Street, PO Box 177, Granville NY 12832
    Phone: 518-642-1500 Ext. 3

  • Granville Village Court

    Address: PO Box 208, Granville NY 12832
    Phone: 518-642-9386

  • Greenwich Town Court

    Address: 2 Academy Street, Greenwich NY 12834
    Phone: 518-692-7611 Ext. 105 Fax: 518-692-7137

  • Greenwich Village Court

    Address: 6 Academy Street, Greenwich NY 12834
    Phone: 518-692-2755

  • Hampton Town Court

    Address: 2629 State Route 22A, PO Box 125, Hampton NY 12837
    Phone: 518-282-9625

  • Hartford Town Court

    Address: 165 County Route 23, PO Box 14, Hartford NY 12838
    Phone: 518-632-9274 Fax: 518-632-0032

  • Hebron Town Court

    Address: Route 30, PO Box 415, Salem NY 12865
    Phone: 518-854-9300

  • Hudson Falls Village Court

    Address: 218 Main Street, Hudson Falls NY 12839
    Phone: 518-747-3292 Fax: 518-747-8215

  • Jackson Town Court

    Address: 2355 State Route 22, Cambridge NY 12816
    Phone: 518-677-8896

  • Kingsbury Town Court

    Address: 210 Main Street, Hudson Falls NY 12839
    Phone: 518-747-2188 Ext. 3010 Fax: 518-747-5925

  • Putnam Town Court

    Address: PO Box 104, Putnam Station NY 12861
    Phone: 518-547-8303

  • Salem Town Court

    Address: 214 Main Street, PO Box 297, Salem NY 12865
    Phone: 518-854-3277

  • Salem Village Court

    Address: 181 Main Street, PO Box 297, Salem NY 12865
    Phone: 518-854-9215

  • White Creek Town Court

    Address: 28 Mountainview Drive, Cambridge NY 12816
    Phone: 518-677-2414

  • Whitehall Town Court

    Address: 1 Saunders Street, PO Box 272, Whitehall NY 12887
    Phone: 518-499-0772

  • Whitehall Village Court

    Address: 1 Saunders Street, PO Box 272, Whitehall NY 12887
    Phone: 518-499-0772

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.