Troup County Criminal Court

Troup County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Troup County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Troup County.

Who is the prosecutor for Troup County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Troup County criminal cases will either be a representative of Troup County or a representative from Georgia. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Arraignments in Troup County

During an arraignment in Troup County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Troup County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Troup County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Troup County Criminal Court

Troup County Criminal Court

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Who can help me in Troup County?

For general information about your case the Troup County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Troup County Required Court Appearances

In Troup County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Troup County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Troup County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Troup County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Troup County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Troup County Criminal Court Locations

  • Troup County Superior Court

    Address: 100 Ridley Avenue, PO Box 866, LaGrange GA 30241
    Phone: 706-883-1740 Fax: 706-883-1724

  • State Court of Troup County

    Address: 100 Ridley Avenue, PO Box 866, LaGrange GA 30241
    Phone: 706-883-1740 Fax: 706-883-1724

  • Troup County Magistrate Court

    Address: 100 Ridley Avenue, LaGrange GA 30240
    Phone: 706-883-1695 Fax: 706-883-1632

  • Troup County Juvenile Court

    Address: 118 Ridley Avenue, LaGrange GA 30240
    Phone: 706-883-1735 Fax: 706-883-1738

  • Municipal Court of Hogansville

    Address: 117 Lincoln Street, Hogansville GA 30230
    Phone: 706-637-8616

  • Municipal Court of LaGrange

    Address: 208 Ridley Avenue, PO Box 240, LaGrange GA 30241
    Phone: 706-883-2026 Fax: 706-883-2028

  • Municipal Court of West Point

    Address: 730 1st Avenue, PO Box 487, West Point GA 31833
    Phone: 706-645-3512

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.