Parker County Criminal Court

Parker County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Parker County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Parker County.

Where will Parker County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Parker County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Parker County.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Parker County Criminal Court

Parker County Criminal Court

What happens in Parker County at an arraignment?

In Parker County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Parker County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Mandatory Appearances in Parker County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Parker County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Where can I get help for my Parker County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Parker County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Prosecutor in Parker County

In Parker County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Parker County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Texas. For the most part, the prosecutor in Parker County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Sentencing in Parker County

In Parker County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Parker County Criminal Court Locations

  • Parker County 43rd District Court

    Address: 117 Fort Worth Hwy, Weatherford TX 76086
    Fax: 817-598-6131

  • Parker County 415th District Court

    Address: 117 Fort Worth Hwy, Weatherford TX 76086
    Fax: 817-598-6131

  • Parker County County Constitutional Court

    Address: Phone: 817-598-6018 (Probate Records Clerk – filing, court records)
    Phone: 817-598-6151 (Probate Auditor – docket settings)

  • Parker County Court at Law No. 1

    Address: 1112 Santa Fe Drive, Weatherford TX 76086
    Phone: 817-598-6059

  • Parker County Court at Law No. 2

    Address: 1112 Santa Fe Drive, Weatherford TX 76086
    Phone: 817-598-6035

  • Parker County Justice of the Peace Precinct 1

    Address: 1020 E Hwy 199, Springtown TX 76082
    Phone: 817-220-5857 Fax: 817-220-2110

  • Parker County Justice of the Peace Precinct 2

    Address: 207 Fort Worth Hwy, Weatherford TX 76086
    Phone: 682-229-2172 Fax: 817-598-0476

  • Parker County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3

    Address: 1112 Santa Fe Dr, Weatherford TX 76086
    Phone: 817-598-6192 Fax: 817-598-6112

  • Parker County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4

    Address: 5189 E I-20 Service Road N, #109, Willow Park TX 76087
    Phone: 817-441-1071 Fax: 817-441-4170

  • Aledo Municipal Court

    Address: 200 Old Annetta Rd, PO Box 1, Aledo TX 76008
    Phone: 817-441-7016

  • Hudson Oaks Municipal Court

    Address: 210 N Lakeshore Dr, Hudson Oaks TX 76087
    Phone: 682-229-2403

  • Reno Municipal Court

    Address: 195 W Reno Rd, Azle TX 76020
    Phone: 817-221-2500

  • Springtown Municipal Court

    Address: 102 E 2nd St, PO Box 444, Springtown TX 76082
    Phone: 817-220-4834

  • Weatherford Municipal Court

    Address: 303 Palo Pinto St, PO Box 255, Weatherford TX 76086
    Phone: 817-598-4120 Fax: 817-598-4356

  • Willow Park Municipal Court

    Address: 516 Ranch House Rd, Willow Park TX 76087
    Phone: 817-441-7107

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.