Burleson County Criminal Court

Burleson County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Burleson County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Burleson County.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Burleson County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Burleson County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Burleson County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Burleson County Criminal Court

Burleson County Criminal Court

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Burleson County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Who is the prosecutor for Burleson County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Burleson County criminal cases will either be a representative of Burleson County or a representative from Texas. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Mandatory Appearances in Burleson County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Burleson County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

I need help for my Burleson County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Burleson County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Burleson County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Arraignments in Burleson County

During an arraignment in Burleson County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Burleson County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Burleson County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Burleson County Criminal Court Locations

  • Burleson County 21st District Court

    Address: 100 W Buck St, #303, Caldwell TX 77836
    Phone: 979-567-2336

  • Burleson County 335th District Court

    Address: 100 W Buck St, #303, Caldwell TX 77836
    Phone: 979-567-2336

  • Burleson County Constitutional Court

    Address: 100 W Buck St, #203, Caldwell TX 77836
    Phone: 979-567-2329 Fax: 979-567-2376

  • Burleson County Justice of the Peace Precinct 1

    Address: PO Box 136, Deanville TX 77853
    Phone: 979-535-4761 Fax: 979-535-7344

  • Burleson County Justice of the Peace Precinct 2

    Address: 9434 Slovacek Rd, PO Box 250, Snook TX 77878
    Phone: 979-272-3656 Fax: 979-272-4501

  • Burleson County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3

    Address: 100 W Buck St, #101, Caldwell TX 77836
    Phone: 979-567-2302 Fax: 979-567-0587

  • Burleson County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4

    Address: Physical: 16955 State Highway 36 S, Somerville TX 77879
    Phone: 979-596-1412 Fax: 979-596-3795

  • Caldwell Municipal Court

    Address: 1105 Commerce St, Caldwell TX 77836
    Phone: 979-567-7197

  • Somerville Municipal Court

    Address: 150 8th St, PO Box 159, Somerville TX 77879
    Phone: 979-596-3068 Fax: 979-596-1931

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.