Kingman County Criminal Court

Kingman County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Kingman County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Kingman County.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Kingman County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Required Court Appearances in Kingman County

Any required court appearances in Kingman County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Kingman County Criminal Court

Kingman County Criminal Court

Sentencing in Kingman County

In Kingman County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Where will Kingman County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Kingman County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Kingman County.

Kingman County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Kingman County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Kingman County. The Kingman County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Jury Deliberations in Kingman County

In Kingman County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Who can help me in Kingman County?

For general information about your case the Kingman County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Arraignments in Kingman County

During an arraignment in Kingman County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Kingman County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Kingman County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Kingman County Criminal Court Locations

  • Kingman County District Court

    Address: 130 North Spruce, PO Box 495, Kingman, KS 67068
    Phone: 620-532-5151 Fax: 620-532-2952

  • Cunningham Municipal Court

    Address: 119 North Main, PO Box 188, Cunningham, KS 67035
    Phone: 620-298-3077 Fax: 620-298-4047

  • Kingman Municipal Court

    Address: 324 North Main Street, PO Box 168, Kingman KS 67068
    Phone: 620-532-3112 Fax: 620-532-2147

  • Norwich Municipal Court

    Address: 226 Main Street, PO Box 100, Norwich, KS 67118
    Phone: 620-478-2278 Fax: 620-478-2880

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.