Allen County Criminal Court

Allen County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Allen County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Allen County.

Allen County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Allen County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Allen County. The Allen County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Where can I get help for my Allen County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Allen County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Allen County Criminal Court

Allen County Criminal Court

Allen County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Allen County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Allen County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Allen County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Allen County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Allen County will take place at the Allen County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Allen County Criminal Court Locations.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Allen County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Mandatory Appearances in Allen County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Allen County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Allen County Criminal Court Locations

  • Allen County District Court

    Address: 1 North Washington Avenue, Iola, KS 66749
    Phone: 620-365-1425 Fax: 620-365-1429

  • Gas Municipal Court

    Address: 228 North Taylor, PO Box 190, Gas, KS 66742
    Phone: 620-365-3034 Fax: 620-365-3085

  • Humboldt Municipal Court

    Address: 725 Bridge Street, PO Box 228, Humboldt, KS 66748
    Phone: 620-473-3201 Fax: 620-473-2133

  • Iola Municipal Court

    Address: 2 West Jackson Avenue, Iola, KS 66749
    Phone: 620-365-4962 Fax: 620-365-4919

  • LaHarpe Municipal Court

    Address: 616 Main Street, PO Box 10, LaHarpe, KS 66751
    Phone: 620-496-2241 Fax: 620-496-2242

  • Moran Muncipal Court

    Address: 339 North Cedar, PO Box 188, Moran, KS 66755
    Phone: 620-237-4291

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.