Johnson County Criminal Court

Johnson County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Johnson County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Johnson County.

Johnson County Required Court Appearances

In Johnson County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Johnson County Criminal Court

Johnson County Criminal Court

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Johnson County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Johnson County will take place at the Johnson County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Johnson County Criminal Court Locations.

Jury Deliberations in Johnson County

In Johnson County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Arraignments in Johnson County

During an arraignment in Johnson County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Johnson County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Johnson County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Defendant Sentencing

At a sentence hearing the judge will inform the defendant of the sentence that will be imposed. This sometimes occurs at the same hearing in which the defendant is found guilty (either by trial or plea agreement). In can also occur at a later date, most often this is due to the complexity of the case where more time is needed to determine the appropriate sentence.

Who can help me in Johnson County?

For general information about your case the Johnson County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Johnson County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Johnson County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Johnson County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Johnson County. The Johnson County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Johnson County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Johnson County Criminal Court Locations

  • Johnson County District Court

    Address: 100 North Kansas Avenue, Olathe, KS 66061
    Phone: 913-715-3300 Fax: 913-715-3317

  • De Soto Municipal Court

    Address: 32905 West 84th Street, PO Box C, De Soto, KS 66018
    Phone: 913-583-1182 Fax: 913-583-3123

  • Edgerton Municipal Court

    Address: 404 East Nelson Street, PO Box 255, Edgerton, KS 66021
    Phone: 913-893-6231 Fax: 913-893-6232

  • Fairway Municipal Court

    Address: 5252 Belinder, Fairway, KS 66205
    Phone: 913-262-2364 Fax: 913-262-1881

  • Gardner Municipal Court

    Address: 120 East Main Street, Gardner, KS 66030
    Phone: 913-856-0904 Fax: 913-856-5784

  • Lake Quivira Municipal Court

    Address: 10 Crescent Blvd, Lake Quivira, KS 66217
    Phone: 913-631-7844 Fax: 913-631-5761

  • Leawood Municipal Court

    Address: 4205 Town Center Drive, Leawood, KS 66211
    Phone: 913-339-6735 Fax: 913-661-7090

  • Lenexa Municipal Court

    Address: 12400 West 87th Street Parkway, Lenexa, KS 66215
    Phone: 913-477-7600 Fax: 913-477-7619

  • Merriam Municipal Court

    Address: 9001 West 62nd Street, Merriam, KS 66202
    Phone: 913-322-5540 Fax: 913-322-5545

  • Mission Hills Municipal Court

    Address: 7700 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208
    Phone: 913-385-4680 Fax: 913-385-4665

  • Mission Municipal Court

    Address: 6090 Woodson Road, Mission, KS 66202
    Phone: 913-676-8325 Fax: 913-676-8385

  • Mission Woods Municipal Court

    Address: 4700 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood, KS 66205
    Phone: 913-362-3737 Fax: 913-362-3308

  • Olathe Municipal Court

    Address: 1200 South Harrison, Olathe, KS 66061
    Phone: 913-971-7564

  • Overland Park Municipal Court

    Address: 12400 Foster, Overland Park, KS 66213
    Phone: 913-327-6800 Fax: 913-327-5760

  • Prairie Village Municipal Court

    Address: 7700 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208
    Phone: 913-385-4680 Fax: 913-385-4665

  • Roeland Park Municipal Court

    Address: 4600 West 51st Street, Roeland Park, KS 66205
    Phone: 913-677-3389

  • Shawnee Municipal Court

    Address: 5860 Renner Road, Shawnee, KS 66217
    Phone: 913-742-6003 Fax: 913-742-6947

  • Spring Hill Municipal Court

    Address: 401 North Madison Street, PO Box 424, Spring Hill, KS 66083
    Phone: 913-592-3664 Fax: 913-592-5040

  • Westwood Hills Municipal Court

    Address: 4700 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood, KS 66205
    Phone: 913-362-3737 Fax: 913-362-3308

  • Westwood Municipal Court

    Address: 4700 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood, KS 66205
    Phone: 913-362-3737 Fax: 913-362-3308

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.