Jackson County Criminal Court

Jackson County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Jackson County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Jackson County.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Who is the prosecutor for Jackson County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Jackson County criminal cases will either be a representative of Jackson County or a representative from Oregon. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Jackson County Criminal Court

Jackson County Criminal Court

Mandatory Appearances in Jackson County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Jackson County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Jackson County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Jury Deliberations in Jackson County

In Jackson County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

What happens in Jackson County at an arraignment?

In Jackson County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Jackson County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Jackson County will take place at the Jackson County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Jackson County Criminal Court Locations.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Who can help me in Jackson County?

For general information about your case the Jackson County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Sentencing in Jackson County

In Jackson County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Jackson County Criminal Court Locations

  • Jackson County Circuit Court

    Address: 100 South Oakdale, Medford, OR 97501
    Phone: 541-776-7171 Fax: 541-776-7057

  • Ashland Municipal Court

    Address: 1175 East Main Street, Ashland, OR 97520
    Phone: 541-482-5214 Fax: 541-488-5586

  • Central Point Municipal Court

    Address: 155 South 2nd Street, Central Point, OR 97502
    Phone: 541-664-3321 Ext. 200

  • Eagle Point Municipal Court

    Address: 17 Buchanan Avenue, PO Box 779, Eagle Point, OR 97524
    Phone: 541-826-4212 Fax: 541-826-6155

  • Gold Hill Municipal Court

    Address: 420 6th Avenue, PO Box 308, Gold Hill, OR 97525
    Phone: 541-855-1525

  • Jacksonville Municipal Court

    Address: 110 East Main Street, PO Box 7, Jacksonville, OR 97530
    Phone: 541-899-1231

  • Medford Municipal Court

    Address: 411 West 8th Street, Room 210, Medford, OR 97501
    Phone: 541-774-2040 Fax: 541-774-2568

  • Phoenix Municipal Court

    Address: 112 West 2nd Street, PO Box 330, Phoenix, OR 97535
    Phone: 541-535-1955

  • Rogue River Municipal Court

    Address: 133 Broadway, PO Box 1137, Rogue River, OR 97537
    Phone: 541-582-4401

  • Jackson Justice Court

    Address: 505 Oak Street, Central Point, OR 97502
    Phone: 541-774-1286 Fax: 541-774-1288

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.