Clackamas County Criminal Court

Clackamas County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Clackamas County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Clackamas County.

Jury Deliberation

In a jury trial in Clackamas County, after both the prosecution and defense have rested, the judge will give instructions to the jury and jury deliberations will begin. The jury will convence in a private room to discuss and deliberate the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once the jury arrives at a unimanous decision, they will inform the judge that they have reached a decision. They will return to the court and the verdict will be read aloud. If the jury cannot reach a unaminous decision, the jury is said to be deadlocked and a mistrial will be declared in the case.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Clackamas County Criminal Court

Clackamas County Criminal Court

Sentencing in Clackamas County

In Clackamas County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Clackamas County Required Court Appearances

In Clackamas County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Clackamas County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Clackamas County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Clackamas County. The Clackamas County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Clackamas County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Clackamas County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

I need help for my Clackamas County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Clackamas County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Clackamas County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Clackamas County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Clackamas County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Clackamas County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Clackamas County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Clackamas County Criminal Court Locations

  • Clackamas County Circuit Court

    Address: 807 Main Street, Oregon City, OR 97045
    Phone: 503-655-8670 Fax: 503-650-3963

  • Clackamas County Juvenile Court

    Address: 2123 Kaen Road, Oregon City, OR 97045
    Phone: 503-650-3566 (Dependency) Fax: 503-723-2911

  • Canby Municipal Court

    Address: 1175 NW 3rd Avenue, Canby, OR 970
    Phone: 503-266-4027 Fax: 503-266-9316

  • Estacada Municipal Court

    Address: 475 SE Main Street, PO Box 958, Estacada, OR 97023
    Phone: 503-630-8270 Fax: 503-630-8280

  • Gladstone Municipal Court

    Address: 525 Portland Avenue, Gladstone, OR 97027
    Phone: 503-557-2772 Fax: 503-650-8938

  • Happy Valley Municipal Court

    Address: 16000 SE Misty Drive, Happy Valley, OR 97086
    Phone: 503-783-3822

  • Johnson City Municipal Court

    Address: 16120 SE 81st Street, Johnson City, OR 97267
    Phone: 503-655-9710

  • Lake Oswego Municipal Court

    Address: 380 A Avenue, PO Box 369, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
    Phone: 503-635-0217 Fax: 503-697-6570

  • Milwaukie Municipal Court

    Address: 10722 SE Main Street, Milwaukie, OR 97222
    Phone: 503-786-7531 Fax: 503-786-7528

  • Molalla Municipal Court

    Address: 117 North Molalla Avenue, PO Box 248, Molalla, OR 97038
    Phone: 503-829-7711 Fax: 503-829-3676

  • Oregon City Municipal Court

    Address: 320 Warner Milne Road, PO Box 3040, Oregon City, OR 97045
    Phone: 503-657-8154

  • Sandy Municipal Court

    Address: 39250 Pioneer Blvd, Sandy, OR 97055
    Phone: 503-826-1939

  • West Linn Municipal Court

    Address: 22500 Salamo Road, West Linn, OR 97068
    Phone: 503-656-4263 Fax: 503-742-8599

  • Wilsonville Municipal Court

    Address: 30000 SW Town Center Loop East, Wilsonville, OR 97070
    Phone: 503-570-1587 Fax: 503-682-1015

  • Clackamas County Justice Court

    Address: 11750 SE 82nd Avenue, Suite D, Happy Valley, OR 97086
    Phone: 503-794-3800 Fax: 503-794-3808

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.