Stone County Criminal Court

Stone County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Stone County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Stone County.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Stone County Criminal Court

Stone County Criminal Court

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Stone County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Stone County will take place at the Stone County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Stone County Criminal Court Locations.

Who can help me in Stone County?

For general information about your case the Stone County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Jury Deliberations in Stone County

In Stone County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

What happens in Stone County at an arraignment?

In Stone County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Stone County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Who is the prosecutor for Stone County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Stone County criminal cases will either be a representative of Stone County or a representative from Missouri. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Sentencing in Stone County

In Stone County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Required Court Appearances in Stone County

Any required court appearances in Stone County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Stone County Criminal Court Locations

  • Stone County Circuit Court

    Address: 110 South Maple, Suite F, PO Box 18, Galena, MO 65656
    Phone: 417-357-6114 Fax: 417-357-6163

  • Branson West Municipal Court

    Address: 110 Silver Lady Lane, PO Box 2229, Branson West, MO 65737
    Phone: 417-272-1447 Fax: 417-272-8152

  • Crane Municipal Court

    Address: 120 North Commerce, PO Box 17, Crane, MO 65633
    Phone: 417-723-5766 Fax: 417-723-8486

  • Galena Municipal Court

    Address: 111 Main Street, PO Box 234, Galena, MO 65656
    Phone: 417-357-6226 Fax: 417-357-8033

  • Hurley Municipal Court

    Address: 202 South Walnut, PO Box 224, Hurley, MO 65675
    Phone: 417-369-3420 Fax: 417-369-0777

  • Kimberling City Municipal Court

    Address: 34 Kimberling Blvd, PO Box 370, Kimberling City, MO 65686
    Phone: 417-739-4903 Fax: 417-739-2752

  • Reeds Spring Municipal Court

    Address: 22601 Main Street, PO Box 171, Reeds Spring, MO 65737
    Phone: 417-272-3309 Fax: 417-272-8015

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.