Johnson County Criminal Court

Johnson County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Johnson County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Johnson County.

Where can I get help for my Johnson County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Johnson County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Who is the prosecutor for Johnson County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Johnson County criminal cases will either be a representative of Johnson County or a representative from Missouri. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Johnson County Criminal Court

Johnson County Criminal Court

Johnson County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Johnson County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Johnson County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Johnson County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Required Court Appearances in Johnson County

Any required court appearances in Johnson County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Sentencing in Johnson County

In Johnson County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Where will Johnson County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Johnson County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Johnson County.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Johnson County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Johnson County Criminal Court Locations

  • Johnson County Circuit Court

    Address: 101 West Market Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093
    Phone: 660-422-7413 Fax: 660-422-7417

  • Centerview Municipal Court

    Address: 206 South Main Street, Centerview, MO 64019
    Phone: 660-656-3688

  • Chilhowee Municipal Court

    Address: 110 South Pennsylvania, Chilhowee, MO 64733
    Phone: 660-678-4711

  • Knob Noster Municipal Court

    Address: 218 North State, Knob Noster, MO 65336
    Phone: 660-563-2595 Fax: 660-563-3476

  • Leeton Municipal Court

    Address: 300 North Holden, Warrensburg, MO 64093
    Phone: 660-653-4622

  • Village of Latour Municipal Court

    Address: 102 South Holden, Warrensburg, MO 64093
    Phone: 660-747-9132 Fax: 660-747-1867

  • Warrensburg Municipal Court

    Address: 102 South Holden Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093
    Phone: 660-747-9132 Fax: 660-747-1867

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.