Jasper County Criminal Court

Jasper County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Jasper County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Jasper County.

Jasper County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Jasper County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Jasper County. The Jasper County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Jasper County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Jasper County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Jasper County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Jasper County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Jasper County Criminal Court

Jasper County Criminal Court

Who can help me in Jasper County?

For general information about your case the Jasper County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Mandatory Appearances in Jasper County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Jasper County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Sentencing in Jasper County

In Jasper County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Jasper County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Jasper County will take place at the Jasper County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Jasper County Criminal Court Locations.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Jasper County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Jasper County Criminal Court Locations

  • Jasper County Circuit Court

    Address: 302 South Main Street, Room 304, Carthage, MO 64836
    Phone: 417-358-0441 Fax: 417-358-0461

  • Jasper County Circuit Court

    Address: 601 South Pearl Avenue, Room 300, Joplin, MO 64801
    Phone: 417-625-4310 Fax: 417-782-7172

  • Alba Municipal Court

    Address: 653 East Central, Oronogo, MO 64855
    Phone: 417-673-7712 Fax: 417-673-8842

  • Carl Junction Municipal Court

    Address: 302 North Main Street, PO Box 447, Carl Junction, MO 64834
    Phone: 417-649-6792 Fax: 417-649-7286

  • Carterville Municipal Court

    Address: 1200 East 1st, Carterville, MO 64835
    Phone: 417-673-1341 Fax: 417-673-5448

  • Carthage Municipal Court

    Address: 407 South Garrison, Carthage, MO 64836
    Phone: 417-237-7000 Fax: 417-237-7002

  • Duenweg Municipal Court

    Address: 118 Webb, PO Box 105, Duenweg, MO 64841
    Phone: 417-623-2027 Fax: 417-623-3329

  • Duquesne Municipal Court

    Address: 1501 South Duquesne, Joplin, MO 64801
    Phone: 417-781-5085 Fax: 417-781-4570

  • Joplin Municipal Court

    Address: 302 East 3rd Street, Joplin, MO 64801
    Phone: 417-624-0820 Fax: 417-625-4734

  • Oronogo Municipal Court

    Address: 653 East Central, PO Box 78, Oronogo, MO 64855
    Phone: 417-673-7712 Fax: 417-673-8842

  • Purcell Municipal Court

    Address: 302 South Main, Purcell, MO 64857
    Phone: 417-673-7712 Fax: 417-673-8842

  • Webb City Municipal Court

    Address: 200 South Main Street, PO Box 30, Webb City, MO 64870
    Phone: 417-673-4000 Fax: 417-673-4141

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.