Uinta County Criminal Court

Uinta County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Uinta County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Uinta County.

Uinta County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Uinta County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Sentencing in Uinta County

In Uinta County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Uinta County Criminal Court

Uinta County Criminal Court

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Uinta County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

What happens in Uinta County at an arraignment?

In Uinta County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Who can help me in Uinta County?

For general information about your case the Uinta County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Mandatory Appearances in Uinta County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Uinta County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Who is the prosecutor for Uinta County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Uinta County criminal cases will either be a representative of Uinta County or a representative from Wyoming. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Uinta County Criminal Court Locations

  • Uinta County District Court

    Address: 225 9th Street, Evanston, WY 82930
    Phone: 307-783-0456 Fax: 307-783-0400

  • Uinta County Circuit Court

    Address: 225 9th Street, Evanston, WY 82930
    Phone: 307-789-2471 Fax: 307-789-5062

  • Bear River Municipal Court

    Address: 81 Elk Drive, Bear River, WY 82930
    Phone: 307-789-2800

  • Evanston Municipal Court

    Address: 1200 Main Street, Evanston, WY 82930
    Phone: 307-783-6318 Fax: 307-783-6390

  • Lyman Municipal Court

    Address: 100 East Sage Street, PO Box 300, Lyman, WY 82937
    Phone: 307-787-3429

  • Mountain View Municipal Court

    Address: 405 North Highway 414, PO Box 249, Mountain View, WY 82939
    Phone: 307-782-3100 Fax: 307-782-6880

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.