Crook County Criminal Court

Crook County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Crook County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Crook County.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Crook County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Crook County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Crook County. The Crook County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Crook County Criminal Court

Crook County Criminal Court

Where will Crook County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Crook County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Crook County.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Who can help me in Crook County?

For general information about your case the Crook County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Crook County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Crook County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Crook County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Crook County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Crook County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Required Court Appearances in Crook County

Any required court appearances in Crook County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Jury Deliberations in Crook County

In Crook County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Crook County Criminal Court Locations

  • Crook County District Court

    Address: 309 Cleveland Street, PO Box 406, Sundance, WY 82729
    Phone: 307-283-2523 Fax: 307-283-2996

  • Crook County Circuit Court

    Address: 309 Cleveland Street, PO Box 650, Sundance, WY 82729
    Phone: 307-283-2929 Fax: 307-283-2931

  • Hulett Municipal Court

    Address: 123 Hill Street, Hulett, WY 82720
    Phone: 307-467-5771

  • Moorcroft Municipal Court

    Address: 104 North Big Horn Avenue, PO Box 70, Moorcroft, WY 82721
    Phone: 307-756-3526 Fax: 307-756-3323

  • Pine Haven Municipal Court

    Address: 24 Waters Drive, Pine Haven, WY 82721
    Phone: 307-756-9807 Fax: 307-756-3378

  • Sundance Municipal Court

    Address: 213 Main Street, Sundance, WY 82729
    Phone: 307-283-3451

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.