Walker County Criminal Court

Walker County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Walker County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Walker County.

Jury Deliberations in Walker County

In Walker County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Required Court Appearances in Walker County

Any required court appearances in Walker County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Walker County Criminal Court

Walker County Criminal Court

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

What happens in Walker County at an arraignment?

In Walker County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Where will Walker County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Walker County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Walker County.

I need help for my Walker County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Walker County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Walker County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Who is the prosecutor for Walker County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Walker County criminal cases will either be a representative of Walker County or a representative from Alabama. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Walker County Criminal Court Locations

  • Walker County Circuit Court

    Address: 1801 3rd Ave S, PO Box 1389, Jasper AL 35502
    Phone: 205-384-7268 Fax: 205-384-7271

  • Walker County District Court

    Address: 1801 3rd Ave S, PO Box 1389, Jasper AL 35502
    Phone: 205-384-7268 Fax: 205-384-7271

  • Carbon Hill Municipal Court

    Address: 170 NW 2nd St, PO Box 519, Carbon Hill AL 35549
    Phone: 205-924-9961 Fax: 205-924-9962

  • Cordova Municipal Court

    Address: 3885 N Massachusetts Ave, Cordova AL 35550
    Phone: 205-483-9266

  • Dora Municipal Court

    Address: 1485 Sharon Blvd, Dora AL 35062
    Phone: 205-648-3211

  • Jasper Municipal Court

    Address: 400 W 19th St, Jasper AL 35501
    Phone: 205-221-4254 Fax: 205-384-9126

  • Oakman Municipal Court

    Address: 8240 Market St, Oakman AL 35579
    Phone: 205-622-3939

  • Parrish Municipal Court

    Address: PO Box 89, Parrish AL 35580
    Phone: 205-686-9991

  • Sipsey Municipal Court

    Address: 3835 Sipsey Rd, PO Box 156, Sipsey AL 35584
    Phone: 205-648-8754

  • Sumiton Municipal Court

    Address: 416 State St, PO Box 10, Sumiton AL 35148
    Phone: 205-648-3261

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.