Rock County Criminal Court

Rock County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Rock County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Rock County.

Rock County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Rock County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Rock County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Rock County Criminal Court

Rock County Criminal Court

Arraignments in Rock County

During an arraignment in Rock County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Rock County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Rock County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Where can I get help for my Rock County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Rock County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Sentencing in Rock County

In Rock County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Rock County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Rock County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Rock County. The Rock County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

Mandatory Appearances in Rock County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Rock County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Rock County Criminal Court Locations

  • Rock County Circuit Court

    Address: 51 South Main Street, Janesville WI 53545
    Phone: 608-743-2200 Fax: 608-743-2223

  • City of Beloit Municipal Court

    Address: 100 State Street, Beloit WI 53511
    Phone: 608-364-6672 Fax: 608-364-6642

  • Edgerton Joint Municipal Court

    Address: 12 Albion Street, Edgerton WI 53534
    Phone: 608-884-2671 Ext. 298

  • Evansville / Union Municipal Court

    Address: 31 South Madison Street, PO Box 76, Evansville WI 53536
    Phone: 608-490-0544 Fax: 608-882-6634

  • City of Milton Municipal Court

    Address: 690 South Janesville Street, Milton WI 53563
    Phone: 608-868-6910 Fax: 608-868-6913

  • Town of Beloit Municipal Court

    Address: 2871 South Afton Road, Beloit WI 53511
    Phone: 608-364-2985 Fax: 608-368-2160

  • Town of Milton Municipal Court

    Address: 23 1st Street, PO Box 447, Milton WI 53563
    Phone: 608-868-6656 Fax: 608-868-6642

  • Town of Turtle Municipal Court

    Address: 6916 South County Road J, Beloit WI 53511
    Phone: 608-362-0655 Fax: 608-364-1151

  • Village of Clinton Municipal Court

    Address: 301 Cross Street, PO Box 129, Clinton WI 53525
    Phone: 608-676-4381 Fax: 608-676-5984

  • Village of Footville Municipal Court

    Address: 156 Depot Street, PO Box 445, Footville WI 53537
    Phone: 608-876-6116

  • Village of Orfordville Municipal Court

    Address: 106 North Center Street, PO Box 409, Orfordville WI 53576
    Phone: 608-879-2004

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.