Obion County Criminal Court

Obion County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Obion County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Obion County.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Obion County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Sentencing in Obion County

In Obion County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Obion County Criminal Court

Obion County Criminal Court

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Prosecutor in Obion County

In Obion County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Obion County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Tennessee. For the most part, the prosecutor in Obion County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

I need help for my Obion County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Obion County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Obion County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Obion County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Obion County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Jury Deliberation

In a jury trial in Obion County, after both the prosecution and defense have rested, the judge will give instructions to the jury and jury deliberations will begin. The jury will convence in a private room to discuss and deliberate the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once the jury arrives at a unimanous decision, they will inform the judge that they have reached a decision. They will return to the court and the verdict will be read aloud. If the jury cannot reach a unaminous decision, the jury is said to be deadlocked and a mistrial will be declared in the case.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Mandatory Appearances in Obion County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Obion County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

What happens in Obion County at an arraignment?

In Obion County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Obion County Criminal Court Locations

  • Obion County Circuit Court

    Address: 7 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261
    Phone: 731-885-1372

  • Obion County Chancery Court

    Address: 6 Bill Burnette Circle, PO Box 187, Union City, TN 38261
    Phone: 731-885-2562

  • Obion County General Sessions Court

    Address: 9 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261
    Phone: 731-885-1811

  • Obion County Juvenile Court

    Address: 10 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261
    Phone: 731-885-1372 Fax: 731-885-7922

  • Hornbeak City Court

    Address: PO Box 265, Hornbeak, TN 38232
    Phone: 731-538-9626

  • Obion City Court

    Address: 137 East Palestine, Obion, TN 38240
    Phone: 731-536-6242

  • Samburg City Court

    Address: 472 East Lakeview Drive, Samburg, TN 38254
    Phone: 731-538-3235

  • South Fulton City Court

    Address: 700 Milton Counce Drive, South Fulton, TN 38257
    Phone: 731-479-2151

  • Troy City Court

    Address: 116 West Harper, PO Box 246, Troy, TN 38260
    Phone: 731-536-4745

  • Union City Court

    Address: 408 South Depot, Union City, TN 38281
    Phone: 731-885-1515

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.