Union County Criminal Court

Union County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Union County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Union County.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

Union County Criminal Court

Union County Criminal Court

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Union County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Sentencing in Union County

In Union County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Prosecutor in Union County

In Union County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Union County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent New Jersey. For the most part, the prosecutor in Union County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Union County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Union County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Jury Deliberation

In a jury trial in Union County, after both the prosecution and defense have rested, the judge will give instructions to the jury and jury deliberations will begin. The jury will convence in a private room to discuss and deliberate the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once the jury arrives at a unimanous decision, they will inform the judge that they have reached a decision. They will return to the court and the verdict will be read aloud. If the jury cannot reach a unaminous decision, the jury is said to be deadlocked and a mistrial will be declared in the case.

I need help for my Union County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Union County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Union County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Union County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Mandatory Appearances in Union County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Union County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

What happens in Union County at an arraignment?

In Union County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Union County Criminal Court Locations

  • Union County Superior Court

    Address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
    Phone: 908-659-4600

  • Union County Superior Court – Civil Division

    Address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
    Phone: 908-659-4810

  • Union County Superior Court – Criminal Division

    Address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
    Phone: 908-659-4660 Fax: 908-659-4661

  • Union County Superior Court – Family Division

    Address: New Annex Building, Elizabethtown Plaza, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
    Phone: 908-659-5827

  • Union County Surrogate’s Office

    Address: 2 Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07207
    Phone: 908-527-4280

  • Union County Surrogate’s Satellite Office – Cranford

    Address: 220 Walnut Avenue, Cranford, NJ 07016
    Phone: 908-527-4280

  • Union County Surrogate’s Satellite Office – Linden

    Address: 31 East Henry Street, Linden, NJ 07036
    Phone: 908-527-4280

  • Union County Surrogate’s Satellite Office – Summit

    Address: 512 Springfield Avenue, Summit, NJ 07901
    Phone: 908-527-4280

  • Union County Surrogate’s Satellite Office – Union

    Address: 1976 Morris Avenue, Union, NJ 07083
    Phone: 908-527-4280

  • New Providence Municipal Court

    Address: 360 Elkwood Avenue, New Providence, NJ 07974
    Phone: 908-665-1454 Fax: 908-665-9873

  • Berkeley Heights Municipal Court

    Address: 360 Elkwood Avenue, New Providence, NJ 07974
    Phone: 908-743-1055 Fax: 908-665-9873

  • Clark Township Municipal Court

    Address: 315 Westfield Avenue, Clark, NJ 07066
    Phone: 732-381-5395 Fax: 732-381-9630

  • Cranford Municipal Court

    Address: 8 Springfield Avenue, Cranford, NJ 07016
    Phone: 908-709-7242 Fax: 908-709-7244

  • Elizabeth Municipal Court

    Address: One Police Plaza, Elizabeth, NJ 07201
    Phone: 908-558-6800 Fax: 908-558-7580 (Traffic)

  • Fanwood Municipal Court

    Address: 75 North Martine Avenue, Fanwood, NJ 07023
    Phone: 908-322-6750 Fax: 908-322-1378

  • Garwood Municipal Court

    Address: 403 South Avenue, Garwood, NJ 07027
    Phone: 908-789-0780 Fax: 908-789-6414

  • Hillside Township Municipal Court

    Address: 1409 Liberty Avenue, Hillside, NJ 07205
    Phone: 973-926-1881 Fax: 973-926-2240

  • Kenilworth Municipal Court

    Address: 567 Boulevard, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
    Phone: 908-276-1104 Fax: 908-276-1597

  • Linden Municipal Court

    Address: 301 North Wood Avenue, Linden, NJ 07036
    Phone: 908-474-8429 Fax: 908-474-8619

  • Mountainside Municipal Court

    Address: 1385 US Highway 22 East, Mountainside, NJ 07092
    Phone: 908-232-5335 Fax: 908-233-6412

  • Plainfield Municipal Court

    Address: 325 Watchung Avenue, Plainfield, NJ 07060
    Phone: 908-753-3064 Fax: 908-753-3030

  • Rahway Municipal Court

    Address: 1 City Hall Plaza, Rahway, NJ 07065
    Phone: 732-827-2039 Fax: 732-381-9879

  • Roselle Municipal Court

    Address: 210 Chestnut Street, Roselle, NJ 07203
    Phone: 908-245-5600 Fax: 908-245-3366

  • Roselle Park Municipal Court

    Address: 110 East Westfield Avenue, Roselle Park, NJ 07204
    Phone: 908-241-4631 Fax: 908-241-5719

  • Scotch Plains Municipal Court

    Address: 430 Park Avenue, Scotch Plains, NJ 07046
    Phone: 908-322-6700 Ext. 216 Fax: 908-322-0680

  • Springfield Municipal Court

    Address: 100 Mountain Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081
    Phone: 973-912-2213 Fax: 973-912-2287

  • Summit Municipal Court

    Address: 512 Springfield Avenue, Summit, NJ 07901
    Phone: 908-273-6166 Fax: 908-522-1693

  • Union Township Municipal Court

    Address: 981 Caldwell Avenue, Union, NJ 07083
    Phone: 908-851-5400 Fax: 908-851-5256

  • Westfield Municipal Court

    Address: 425 East Broad Street, Westfield, NJ 07090
    Phone: 908-789-4060 Fax: 908-654-1520

  • Winfield Township Municipal Court

    Address: 12 Gulfstream Avenue, Winfield, NJ 07036
    Phone: 908-925-3938

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.