Neshoba County Criminal Court

Neshoba County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Neshoba County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Neshoba County.

Neshoba County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Neshoba County will take place at the Neshoba County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Neshoba County Criminal Court Locations.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Neshoba County Criminal Court

Neshoba County Criminal Court

Arraignments in Neshoba County

During an arraignment in Neshoba County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Neshoba County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Neshoba County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Neshoba County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Where can I get help for my Neshoba County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Neshoba County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Neshoba County Required Court Appearances

In Neshoba County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Who is the prosecutor for Neshoba County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Neshoba County criminal cases will either be a representative of Neshoba County or a representative from Mississippi. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Neshoba County Criminal Court Locations

  • Neshoba County Circuit Court

    Address: 401 E Beacon St, Ste 110, Philadelphia MS 39350
    Phone: 601-656-4781 Fax: 601-650-3997

  • Neshoba County Chancery Court

    Address: 401 E Beacon St, Ste 107, Philadelphia MS 39350
    Phone: 601-656-3581 Fax: 601-656-5915

  • Neshoba County Youth Court

    Address: 305 Main St, Philadelphia MS 39350
    Phone: 601-656-2812 Fax: 601-656-3214

  • Neshoba County Justice Court

    Address: 200 Byrd Ave, Philadelphia MS 39350
    Phone: 601-656-4053 Fax: 601-656-6482

  • Philadelphia Municipal Court

    Address: 525 Main St, Philadelphia MS 39350
    Phone: 601-650-3584 Fax: 601-650-3581

  • Union Municipal Court

    Address: 404 Bank St, Union MS 39365
    Phone: 601-774-9422 Fax: 601-774-3595

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.