Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Brown County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Brown County.

Who can help me in Brown County?

For general information about your case the Brown County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Brown County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court

Jury Deliberations in Brown County

In Brown County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Where will Brown County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Brown County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Brown County.

Required Court Appearances in Brown County

Any required court appearances in Brown County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Prosecutor in Brown County

In Brown County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Brown County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Wisconsin. For the most part, the prosecutor in Brown County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Brown County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Brown County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Brown County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Brown County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Brown County Criminal Court Locations

  • Brown County Circuit Court

    Address: 100 South Jefferson Street, PO Box 23600, Green Bay WI 54305
    Phone: 920-448-4155 Fax: 920-448-4156

  • Brown County Joint Municipal Court

  • City of De Pere Municipal Court

    Address: 335 South Broadway Street, De Pere WI 54115
    Phone: 920-339-2463 Fax: 920-338-9177

  • City of Green Bay Municipal Court

    Address: 330 South Jefferson Street, Green Bay WI 54301
    Phone: 920-448-3131 Fax: 920-448-3135

  • Hobart – Lawrence Municipal Court

    Address: 2990 South Pine Tree Road, Hobart WI 54155
    Phone: 920-869-3801 Fax: 920-869-2048

  • Pulaski Municipal Court

    Address: 585 East Glenbrook Drive, PO Box 320, Pulaski WI 54162
    Phone: 920-822-5182 Fax: 920-822-3209

  • Village of Allouez Municipal Court

    Address: 1900 Libal Street, Green Bay WI 54301
    Phone: 920-448-2800 Ext. 105 Fax: 920-448-2850

  • Village of Ashwaubenon Municipal Court

    Address: 2155 Holmgren Way, Ashwaubenon WI 54304
    Phone: 920-492-2307 Fax: 920-492-2328

  • Village of Bellevue Municipal Court

    Address: 3100 Eaton Road, Bellevue WI 54311
    Phone: 920-844-1077 Ext. 4 Fax: 920-884-1075

  • Village of Denmark Municipal Court

    Address: 118 East Main Street, Denmark WI 54208
    Phone: 920-863-6440 Fax: 920-863-5169

  • Village of Howard Municipal Court

    Address: 2456 Glendale Avenue, Howard WI 54313
    Phone: 920-434-4669 Fax: 920-434-4643

  • Village of Suamico Municipal Court

    Address: 12781 Velp Avenue, Suamico WI 54173
    Phone: 920-544-8711 Fax: 920-544-8495

  • Village of Wrightstown Municipal Court

    Address: 352 High Street, Wrightstown WI 54180
    Phone: 920-532-5547 Ext. 30 Fax: 920-532-4996

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.