Yakima County Criminal Court

Yakima County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Yakima County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Yakima County.

Yakima County Required Court Appearances

In Yakima County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Yakima County Criminal Court

Yakima County Criminal Court

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Sentencing in Yakima County

In Yakima County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Yakima County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Yakima County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Yakima County. The Yakima County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Arraignments in Yakima County

During an arraignment in Yakima County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Yakima County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Yakima County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Yakima County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Yakima County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

I need help for my Yakima County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Yakima County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Yakima County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Yakima County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Yakima County Criminal Court Locations

  • Yakima County Superior Court

    Address: 128 N 2nd Street, Room 323, Yakima WA 98901
    Phone: 509-574-1430

  • Yakima County Superior Court – Juvenile

    Address: 1728 Jerome Avenue, Yakima WA 98902
    Phone: 509-574-1490 Fax: 509-574-1491

  • Yakima County District Court

    Address: 128 N 2nd Street, Room 225, Yakima WA 98901
    Phone: 509-574-1804 Fax: 509-574-1801

  • Yakima County District Court – Grandview

    Address: 1313 W Wine Country Road, Grandview WA 98930
    Phone: 509-882-2192 Fax: 509-882-2925

  • Granger Municipal Court

    Address: 102 Main Street, PO Box 1100, Granger WA 98932
    Phone: 509-854-0238 Fax: 509-854-2103

  • Mabton Municipal Court

    Address: 401 Homer Street, Sunnyside WA 98944
    Phone: 509-839-4427 Fax: 509-836-6272

  • Moxee Municipal Court

    Address: 255 W Seattle Avenue, PO Box 249, Moxee WA 98936
    Phone: 509-575-8851 Fax: 509-575-8852

  • Selah Municipal Court

    Address: 115 W Naches Avenue, Selah WA 98942
    Phone: 509-698-7329 Fax: 509-698-7338

  • Sunnyside Municipal Court

    Address: 401 Homer Street, Sunnyside WA 98944
    Phone: 509-839-4427 Fax: 509-836-6272

  • Toppenish Municipal Court

    Address: 21 W First Avenue, Toppenish WA 98948
    Phone: 509-865-5959 Fax: 509-865-3864

  • Wapato Municipal Court

    Address: Physical: 205 S Simcoe Avenue, Wapato WA 98951
    Phone: 509-877-6269 Fax: 509-877-7363

  • Yakima Municipal Court

    Address: 200 S 3rd Street, Yakima WA 98901
    Phone: 509-575-3050 Fax: 509-575-3020

  • Zillah Municipal Court

    Address: 111 7th Street, PO Box 388, Zillah WA 98953
    Phone: 509-829-3543 Fax: 509-829-5605

  • Mabton Violations Bureau

    Address: 305 Main Street, PO Box 655, Mabton WA 98935
    Phone: 509-894-4096 Fax: 509-894-4813

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.