Kane County Criminal Court

Kane County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Kane County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Kane County.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Who is the prosecutor for Kane County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Kane County criminal cases will either be a representative of Kane County or a representative from Utah. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

Kane County Criminal Court

Kane County Criminal Court

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Kane County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Mandatory Appearances in Kane County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Kane County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Where can I get help for my Kane County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Kane County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Kane County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Kane County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Kane County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Kane County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

Where will Kane County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Kane County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Kane County.

Kane County Criminal Court Locations

  • 6th District Court – Kane County

    Address: 76 North Main Street, Kanab, UT 84741
    Phone: 435-644-2458 Fax: 435-644-4939

  • 6th District Juvenile Court – Kane County

    Address: 256 West 300 North, Suite 2, Kanab, UT 84741
    Phone: 435-644-8982 Fax: 435-644-8986

  • Big Water Justice Court

    Address: PO Box 410182, Big Water, UT 84741
    Phone: 435-675-3923 Fax: 435-675-3723

  • Kanab City Justice Court

    Address: PO Box 128, Kanab, UT 84741
    Phone: 435-644-5797 Fax: 435-644-3223

  • Kane County Justice Court

    Address: 76 North Main Street, Kanab, UT 84741
    Phone: 435-644-2351 Fax: 435-644-2052

  • Orderville Justice Court

    Address: PO Box 165, Orderville, UT 84758
    Phone: 435-648-2534 Fax: 435-648-2535

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.