Gray County Criminal Court

Gray County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Gray County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Gray County.

Required Court Appearances in Gray County

Any required court appearances in Gray County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Gray County Criminal Court

Gray County Criminal Court

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Gray County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Arraignments in Gray County

During an arraignment in Gray County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Gray County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Gray County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Gray County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Gray County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Who is the prosecutor for Gray County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Gray County criminal cases will either be a representative of Gray County or a representative from Texas. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

I need help for my Gray County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Gray County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Gray County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Gray County Criminal Court Locations

  • Gray County 31st District Court

    Address: PO Box 1139, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-8010 Fax: 806-669-8053

  • Gray County 223rd District Court

    Address: PO Box 1139, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-8010 Fax: 806-669-8053

  • Gray County Constitutional Court

    Address: PO Box 1902, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-8004 Fax: 806-669-8054

  • Gray County Justice of the Peace Precinct 2

    Address: PO Box 2054, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-8015 Fax: 806-669-8066

  • Gray County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4

    Address: PO Box 261, McLean TX 79057
    Phone: 806-779-2721

  • Gray County Justice of the Peace Precincts 1 & 3

    Address: PO Box 1558, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-8032 Fax: 806-665-0481

  • Lefors Municipal Court

    Address: PO Box 383, Lefors TX 79054
    Phone: 806-835-2200

  • Pampa Municipal Court

    Address: 200 W Foster Ave, PO Box 2499, Pampa TX 79066
    Phone: 806-669-5785 Fax: 806-669-5726

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.