Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Brown County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Brown County.

Brown County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Brown County will take place at the Brown County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Brown County Criminal Court Locations.

Plea Agreements

A Plea Agreement, sometimes known as a Plea Bargain is an agreement between the prosecution and the defendant, where the defendant pleads guilty or no contest often in exchange for a lesser charge or lighter recommended sentence. A large majority of criminal cases end in a plea agreement. In Brown County you can inform your attorney to negotiate with the prosecution to attempt to come to a plea agreement, but this is dependent upon the charge severity and also the prosecutors willingness to accept a plea deal.

Brown County Criminal Court

Brown County Criminal Court

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

Required Court Appearances in Brown County

Any required court appearances in Brown County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

Prosecutor in Brown County

In Brown County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Brown County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Texas. For the most part, the prosecutor in Brown County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Where can I get help for my Brown County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Brown County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Arraignments in Brown County

During an arraignment in Brown County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Brown County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Brown County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Jury Deliberations in Brown County

In Brown County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Brown County Criminal Court Locations

  • Brown County 35th District Court

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #216, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-646-5514

  • Brown County Constitutional Court

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #101, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-2594 Fax: 325-643-1685

  • Brown County Court at Law

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #101, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-2594 Fax: 325-643-1685

  • Brown County Justice of the Peace Precinct 1

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #200, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-2688 Fax: 325-646-6437

  • Brown County Justice of the Peace Precinct 2

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #200, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-5962 Fax: 325-641-2382

  • Brown County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #200, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-5962 Fax: 325-641-2382

  • Brown County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4

    Address: 200 S Broadway St, #200, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-643-2688 Fax: 325-646-6437

  • Bangs Municipal Court

    Address: 109 S 1st St, PO Box 188, Bangs TX 76823
    Phone: 325-752-6223 Fax: 325-752-7500

  • Brownwood Municipal Court

    Address: 1050 W Commerce St, Brownwood TX 76801
    Phone: 325-646-6947

  • Early Municipal Court

    Address: 960 Early Blvd, PO Box 3100, Early TX 76803
    Phone: 325-646-5322 Fax: 325-646-3621

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.