Washita County Criminal Court

Washita County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Washita County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Washita County.

Defendant Sentencing

At a sentence hearing the judge will inform the defendant of the sentence that will be imposed. This sometimes occurs at the same hearing in which the defendant is found guilty (either by trial or plea agreement). In can also occur at a later date, most often this is due to the complexity of the case where more time is needed to determine the appropriate sentence.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Washita County Criminal Court

Washita County Criminal Court

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Washita County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Washita County will take place at the Washita County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Washita County Criminal Court Locations.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Who is the prosecutor for Washita County?

Depending upon the case, the prosecutor for Washita County criminal cases will either be a representative of Washita County or a representative from Oklahoma. After reviewing evidence it is the prosecutor’s decision whether to file charges or drop a case. Most prosecutors have the ability to negotiate plea bargains, and determine how the case will be prosecuted.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Washita County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Washita County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Washita County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Washita County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Washita County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

Who can help me in Washita County?

For general information about your case the Washita County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Mandatory Appearances in Washita County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Washita County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Washita County Criminal Court Locations

  • Washita County District Court

    Address: 101 East Main Street, PO Box 397, Cordell, OK 73632
    Phone: 580-832-3836 Fax: 580-832-4123

  • Bessie Municipal Court

    Address: 714 Main Street, Bessie, OK 73622
    Phone: 580-337-6602

  • Burns Flat Municipal Court

    Address: 222 Highway 44, PO Box 410, Burns Flat, OK 73624
    Phone: 580-562-3144

  • Cordell Municipal Court

    Address: 101 East Main Street, Cordell, OK 73632
    Phone: 580-832-3825

  • Foss Municipal Court

    Address: 200 North Broadway, Foss, OK 73647
    Phone: 580-592-4513

  • Sentinel Municipal Court

    Address: 316 East Main Street, Sentinel, OK 73664
    Phone: 580-393-2171

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.