Grady County Criminal Court

Grady County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Grady County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Grady County.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

What happens in Grady County at an arraignment?

In Grady County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Grady County Criminal Court

Grady County Criminal Court

Mandatory Appearances in Grady County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Grady County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

I need help for my Grady County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Grady County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Grady County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Jury Deliberation

In a jury trial in Grady County, after both the prosecution and defense have rested, the judge will give instructions to the jury and jury deliberations will begin. The jury will convence in a private room to discuss and deliberate the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once the jury arrives at a unimanous decision, they will inform the judge that they have reached a decision. They will return to the court and the verdict will be read aloud. If the jury cannot reach a unaminous decision, the jury is said to be deadlocked and a mistrial will be declared in the case.

Where will Grady County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Grady County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Grady County.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Grady County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Grady County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Grady County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Grady County. The Grady County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Grady County Criminal Court Locations

  • Grady County District Court

    Address: 4th & Choctaw Streets, PO Box 605, Chickasha, OK 73023
    Phone: 405-224-7446 Fax: 405-224-0514

  • Alex Municipal Court

    Address: 103 North Main Street, Alex, OK 73002
    Phone: 405-785-2393

  • Amber Municipal Court

    Address: 404 Holly Avenue, Amber, OK 73004
    Phone: 405-222-2175

  • Chickasha Municipal Court

    Address: 101 North 6th Street, Chickasha, OK 73018
    Phone: 405-222-6022

  • Minco Municipal Court

    Address: 200 Main Street, PO Box 512, Minco, OK 73059
    Phone: 405-352-4274 Fax: 405-352-5962

  • Ninnekah Municipal Court

    Address: 301 North Old Hwy, PO Box 211, Ninnekah, OK 73067
    Phone: 405-222-0882 Fax: 405-224-2950

  • Rush Springs Municipal Court

    Address: 102 East Blakely Avenue, Rush Springs, OK 73082
    Phone: 580-476-3277

  • Tuttle Municipal Court

    Address: 301 West Main Street, PO Box 10, Tuttle, OK 73089
    Phone: 405-381-2335 Fax: 405-381-3852

  • Verden Municipal Court

    Address: 101 Morris Avenue, PO Box 206, Verden, OK 73092
    Phone: 405-453-7235

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.