Canadian County Criminal Court

Canadian County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Canadian County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Canadian County.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Canadian County Criminal Court

Canadian County Criminal Court

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Prosecutor in Canadian County

In Canadian County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Canadian County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Oklahoma. For the most part, the prosecutor in Canadian County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Who can help me in Canadian County?

For general information about your case the Canadian County court clerk will be able to provide legal information about your specific criminal case. Legal information is not legal advice though, the court clerk will only be able to provide information about your case, like date/time of hearings what will occur at the hearing and what you may be required to do in the hearing. They cannot provide advice about what you should do or what the best legal options may be for your particular case. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and this is your best place for information about your specific criminal proceeding. If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney to represent you, a judge will appoint an attorney to represent you, this is most often a public defender.

Canadian County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Canadian County will take place at the Canadian County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Canadian County Criminal Court Locations.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Canadian County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Jury by Trial Right

The US Constitution (Article 3 along with the 6th Amendment) ensures an accused defendant the right to a jury trial. This applies to crimes that have a $500 fine or a potential sentence of six months in jail (aka Serious Crimes). This right to trial by jury can also be waived by a defendant.

Required Court Appearances in Canadian County

Any required court appearances in Canadian County Criminal Court must be attended by the defendant. Failure to appear in court at your required date and time may result in the judge issuing an arrest warrant.

What happens in Canadian County at an arraignment?

In Canadian County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

Canadian County Criminal Court Locations

  • Canadian County District Court

    Address: 301 North Choctaw Street, PO Box 730, El Reno, OK 73036
    Phone: 405-262-1070 Fax: 405-262-1522

  • Calumet Municipal Court

    Address: 118 West 2nd Street, PO Box 190, Calumet, OK 73014
    Phone: 405-893-2323

  • El Reno Municipal Court

    Address: 119 North Choctaw, El Reno, OK 73036
    Phone: 405-295-9319 Fax: 405-262-1586

  • Mustang Municipal Court

    Address: 1501 North Mustang Road, Mustang OK 73064
    Phone: 405-376-4521 Fax: 405-376-7759

  • Okarche Municipal Court

    Address: 103 West Oklahoma Avenue, Okarche, OK 73762
    Phone: 405-263-7290

  • Piedmont Municipal Court

    Address: 400 Edmond Road NW, PO Box 488, Piedmont, OK 73078
    Phone: 405-373-5216 Fax: 405-373-5211

  • Union City Municipal Court

    Address: 101 North Elm Avenue, PO Box 36, Union City, OK 73090
    Phone: 405-483-5509

  • Yukon Municipal Court

    Address: 12 South 5th Street, Yukon, OK 73099
    Phone: 405-354-4264 Fax: 405-350-7584

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.