Caddo County Criminal Court

Caddo County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Caddo County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Caddo County.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Mandatory Appearances in Caddo County Criminal Court

At a mandatory or required court appearance in Caddo County, the defendant must appear before the court. In the event of a “Failure to Appear” the judge may issue a warrant for the arrest of the defendant. Note: not all criminal hearings are mandatory, in a non-mandatory hearing an attorney may appear on your behalf without you being in court.

Caddo County Criminal Court

Caddo County Criminal Court

Right to an attorney

The US Constitution’s Sixth Amendment ensures the right to an attorney regardless of whether or not you can afford one. In Caddo County a public defender will be appointed by the judge if you cannot afford private representation.

What happens in Caddo County at an arraignment?

In Caddo County the defendant is brought into court and informed by the judge of the charges that have been filed against them along with informing them of their rights. At this time, the defendant can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest. If the defendant pleads guilty or no contest, there will be no trial and the defendant may be sentenced immediately or at a later date. If the defendant pleads not guilty a trial date is set.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

Prosecutor in Caddo County

In Caddo County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Caddo County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent Oklahoma. For the most part, the prosecutor in Caddo County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Caddo County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

I need help for my Caddo County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Caddo County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Caddo County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

If guilty, who sentences the defendant?

If the defendant is found guilty after the trial, the defendent will be sentenced. In some cases, this can occur at the same hearing the defendant is found guilty in court, in other cases a separate hearing will be required. Often the prosecution will request a particular sentence for the defendant and the judge will determine whether to enforce this sentence or impose a different sentence for the defendant.

Burden of Proof Requirement

In a criminal case in the United States, the burden of proof always requires the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. This is a high threshold that must be met by the prosecution when presenting evidence in a case. If the prosecution fails in it’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the judge must find the defendant not guilty. In a jury trial, the judge will inform the jury what this burden is and their obligation to find the defendant not guilty if they feel the prosecution did prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Caddo County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Caddo County will take place at the Caddo County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Caddo County Criminal Court Locations.

Caddo County Criminal Court Locations

  • Caddo County District Court

    Address: 110 SW 2nd Street, Suite 207, PO Box 10, Anadarko, OK 73005
    Phone: 405-247-3393 Fax: 405-247-4127

  • Anadarko Municipal Court

    Address: 501 West Virginia, Anadarko, OK 73005
    Phone: 405-247-2481 Fax: 405-247-3277

  • Apache Municipal Court

    Address: 102 East Evans Street, PO Box 390, Apache, OK 73006
    Phone: 580-588-3505

  • Binger Municipal Court

    Address: 202 West Main Street, PO Box 481, Binger, OK 73009
    Phone: 405-656-2426

  • Carnegie Municipal Court

    Address: 11 East Main Street, PO Box 1075, Carnegie, OK 73015
    Phone: 580-654-1004

  • Cement Municipal Court

    Address: 411 North Main Street, PO Box 337, Cement, OK 73017
    Phone: 405-489-3222

  • Cyril Municipal Court

    Address: 112 West Main Street, PO Box 448, Cyril, OK 73029
    Phone: 580-464-2411

  • Eakly Municipal Court

    Address: 311 West Main Street, PO Box 305, Eakly, OK 73033
    Phone: 405-797-3252

  • Fort Cobb Municipal Court

    Address: 201 East Main Street, PO Box 328, Fort Cobb, OK 73038
    Phone: 405-643-2682

  • Gracemont Municipal Court

    Address: 100 Main Street, PO Box 40, Gracemont, OK 73042
    Phone: 405-966-2201

  • Hinton Municipal Court

    Address: 115 East Main Street, PO Box 159, Hinton, OK 73047
    Phone: 405-542-3253

  • Hydro Municipal Court

    Address: 105 West 5th Street, PO Box 248, Hydro, OK 73048
    Phone: 405-663-2531

  • Lookeba Municipal Court

    Address: PO Box 73, Lookeba, OK 73053
    Phone: 405-457-6361

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.