Blaine County Criminal Court

Blaine County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Blaine County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Blaine County.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

Sentencing in Blaine County

In Blaine County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Blaine County Criminal Court

Blaine County Criminal Court

Arraignments in Blaine County

During an arraignment in Blaine County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Blaine County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Blaine County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

What is a Plea Agreement?

A plea agreement is a deal made between the prosecution and the defendant in a case, where the defendant agrees to plea guilty to a particular charge in exchange for some concession from the prosecutor. In practice, more than 90% of criminal cases end with a plea agreement.

Blaine County Required Court Appearances

In Blaine County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Blaine County Criminal Court locations

Criminal proceedings take place in the Blaine County Criminal Courts. A list of the criminal courts are located here.

Jury Deliberations in Blaine County

In Blaine County, jury deliberations will take place in a jury trial after the prosecution and defense have presented their cases and rested. At this point, the judge will provide a list of instructions to the jury about what they are allowed and not allowed to do and what verdict options are available for them to decide. The jury will be sent to a private room to discuss the evidence presented in the case and attempt to reach a unaminous decision. When a unaminous decision is reached, the jury will inform the judge that they have reached a verdict and will return to the courtroom for the verdict to be read allowed. In the event that the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the jury results in a deadlock and a mistrial is declared.

Can I appeal a guilty verdict?

If found guilty, a defendant may decide to appeal his case to an appelate court. The appellate court will not retry the case, they will examine the proceedings in the lower court to make sure they were done in a legal manner. The appellate court can either uphold the original conviction, or determine that due to errors made in the original trial, that there must be a retrial, resentencing or a complete dismissal of the charges.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

I need help for my Blaine County criminal case

The best place to get information about your criminal case is from an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you which will assist in your case. For general information about your case the Blaine County court clerk is able to provide general information about your specific case (e.g. date/time hearings, mandatory appearance, what will take place and what you will be required to do). The court clerk for Blaine County will NOT be able to provide legal advice for your case, only an attorney can provide legal advice. The court clerk can provide legal information (like the information found on this website) about your case but cannot provide advice about what you should do in your legal manner.

Blaine County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Blaine County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Blaine County. The Blaine County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Blaine County Criminal Court Locations

  • Blaine County District Court

    Address: 212 North Weigle Avenue, Watonga, OK 73772
    Phone: 580-623-5970 Fax: 580-623-4781

  • Canton Municipal Court

    Address: 300 North Garfield Avenue, Canton, OK 73724
    Phone: 580-886-2212

  • Elk City Municipal Court

    Address: 422 East 3rd Street, Elk City, OK 73644
    Phone: 580-225-4653

  • Geary Municipal Court

    Address: 115 South Broadway, PO Box 125, Geary, OK 73040
    Phone: 405-884-5466

  • Longdale Municipal Court

    Address: 121 South Ken Miller Highway 58, PO Box 249, Longdale, OK 73755
    Phone: 580-274-3375

  • Okeene Municipal Court

    Address: 118 West Madison, PO Box 800, Okeene, OK 73763
    Phone: 580-822-3035

  • Watonga Municipal Court

    Address: 117 North Weigle Avenue, PO Box 564, Watonga, OK 73772
    Phone: 580-623-4669

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.