Pike County Criminal Court

Pike County Criminal Court handles all criminal cases that are filed in Pike County. See below for more information about criminal cases in Pike County.

What if I can’t afford an attorney?

The 6th Amendment guarantees you the right to an attorney whether or not you can afford one. If you cannot afford one, a public defender will be appointed by the court to represent you.

Sentencing in Pike County

In Pike County if the defendant is found guilty (by trial or plea), the defendant will be sentenced. This sometimes occurrs immediately after being found guilty, but can also take place at a later date. In most instances, a judge will impose the sentence that is requested by the prosecution, but they also have the descretion to impose a different sentence.

Pike County Criminal Court

Pike County Criminal Court

Pike County Criminal Court hearings

Criminal hearings in Pike County will take place at the Pike County Criminal Courts. Please see here for a list of the Pike County Criminal Court Locations.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Pike County Prosecutor

For criminal cases in Pike County, the prosecutor will be a representative of Pike County. The Pike County prosecutor reviews all evidence and ultimately decides whether to file or dismiss charges in the case. Most of the time, the prosecutor has leeway in plea negotiations and determines how the case will be prosecuted.

Where can I get help for my Pike County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Pike County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Pike County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

The Right to Trial by Jury

The Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees the right to a trial by a jury. This is applicable for when the crime can carry a sentence of 6 months in jail OR a $500 fine, these are known as “Serious Crimes”. The defendant can also waive their right to a speedy and public trial.

Pike County Required Court Appearances

In Pike County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

What is the Burden of Proof?

The term “Burden of Proof” means that the prosecutor is required to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor cannot provide proof of the defendants guilt, then the judge or jury in a trial must find the defendant not guilty. In the United States the principle innocent until proven guilty derives from this that the defendant is assumed innocent and the prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty.

Arraignments in Pike County

During an arraignment in Pike County, a defendant appears before the court and the judge reads the charges that have been filed against the accused and also informs the defendant of his/her rights. During the arraignment in Pike County, the defendant can choose to plead one of the following 1) Guilty 2) Not Guilty or 3) No Contest. If the defendant enters a plea of Not Guilty, a date for trial is set. In the event of a Guilty or No Contest Plea in Pike County the defendant may be sentenced at that time or the sentencing may take place at a later date.

Appealing a guilty verdict

A defendant may appeal a guilty verdict to an appellate court. This is not a request to have another trial, but a request for an appellate court to review the case and determine that it was handled in a correct legal manner. There are a number of outcomes in an appeal including an upholding of the conviction, a finding that errors were made resulting in a retrial or resentencing or possibly a complete disimissal of all charges.

Pike County Criminal Court Locations

  • Pike County Circuit Court

    Address: 218 E Bay St, PO Box 31, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-2581 Fax: 601-783-6322

  • Pike County Chancery Court

    Address: PO Box 309, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-3362 Fax: 601-783-5982

  • County Court of Pike County

    Address: 218 E Bay St, PO Box 31, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-2581 Fax: 601-783-6322

  • Pike County Youth Court

    Address: 218 E Bay St, PO Box 31, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-2581 Fax: 601-783-6322

  • Pike County Justice Court

    Address: 2109 Jesse Hall Memorial Rd, Box 509, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-5333 Fax: 601-783-4181

  • Magnolia Municipal Court

    Address: 235 S Cherry St, Magnolia MS 39652
    Phone: 601-783-9926 Fax: 601-783-9922

  • McComb Municipal Court

    Address: 501 Beech St, PO Box 1911, McComb MS 39648
    Phone: 601-684-3216 Fax: 601-684-1472

  • Osyka Municipal Court

    Address: PO Box 23, Osyka MS 39657
    Phone: 601-542-5041 Fax: 601-542-5832

  • Summit Municipal Court

    Address: PO Box 517, Summit MS 39666
    Phone: 601-276-9511 Fax: 601-276-9545

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.