Placer County Criminal Court

Placer County Criminal Court hears all criminal cases in Placer County. Below you will find specific information about criminal cases and how they are handled in Placer County.

Where can I get help for my Placer County criminal case?

The 6th amendment of the United States Constitution provides a criminal defendant with the right to an attorney. As read in the miranda rights, this means that if a defendant cannot afford to hire a private attorney a legal attorney will be appointed to the defendant to represent him at no cost to the defendant. This is often a public defender. In addition, the court clerk for Placer County will also be able to provide general information about a specific criminal case. The clerk can only provide information and is not an attorney so they cannot provide legal advice, only a licensed attorney can provide legal advice about what the best options for are for your particular case.

Where will Placer County criminal case hearings take place?

Criminal cases will take place at the criminal courts of Placer County. See here for the location of the criminal courts in Placer County.

Placer County Criminal Court

Placer County Criminal Court

Placer County Required Court Appearances

In Placer County, there are both required and non-required court appearances for the defendant. At a required or mandatory appearance hearing, the defendant is required to appear in person before the court. Failing to appear at your required hearing may result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest by the judge.

Appealing a Criminal Conviciton

A defendant may appeal a criminal conviction to an appellate court. In an appeal, the actual trial is not redone, but the appellate court hears arguments that the criminal case was not handled in a legal manner at the original criminal court. The appellate court can either uphold the conviction, or determine that errors were made and may request a retrial, a resentencing of the defendant or that the charges be dismissed.

What is Jury Deliberation?

After both the prosecution and defense have presented their cases, the judge in the case will provide instructions to the jury about what they must decide. The jury will be dismissed to the jury room where they will deliberate about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. After reaching a unaminous decision, they return their decision to the court where it is read aloud in the courtroom. If the jury is unable to reach a unaminous decision, the jury is deadlocked, also known as a hung jury, in which a mistrial will be declared.

Defendant Sentencing

At a sentence hearing the judge will inform the defendant of the sentence that will be imposed. This sometimes occurs at the same hearing in which the defendant is found guilty (either by trial or plea agreement). In can also occur at a later date, most often this is due to the complexity of the case where more time is needed to determine the appropriate sentence.

Burden of Proof

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial. In other words, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime. The defense must only prove that there is a reasonable possibility that the defendant did NOT commit the crime. If the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt, the jury will be instructed to find the defendant not-guilty.

Can I request a Plea Agreement?

In Placer County you may be able to enter into a plea agreement depending upon the severity of the charges. It is also dependant upon the prosecution willing to accept a plea agreement. You can ask your attorney to attempt to negotiate a plea agreement with the prosecution to avoid having a jury trial along with the potential for a more serious sentence. Approximately 9 out of 10 criminal cases usually end in a plea agreement.

Right to Jury Trial

For “Serious Crimes”, those that can have a potential penalty of 6 months in jail OR a minimum $500 penalty, the US Constitution guarantees a right to trial by jury. This is guaranteed by Article III of the Constitution and the 6th Amendment. The accused has the ability to waive their right to trial by jury.

The Right to Counsel

The Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.s. Constitution give defendants in criminal cases the right to counsel/attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you. Like other rights a defendant has, this one can be waived as well and alternatively you can choose to represent yourself.

Placer County Arraignments

An arraignment is a court hearing. In Placer County this is the first thing that will happen in a criminal case. The defendant will be brought before a judge in Placer County Criminal Court and the judge will read the charges that were filed against the defendant. The judge will also read the rights the defendant has and ask the defendant if they understand both the charges filed against them and their rights as a defendant in the case. In Placer County a plea of Guilty, Not Guilty or No Contest may be entered. In a guilty or no contest plea the sentencing of the defendant may take place at the same arraignment hearing or a later date may be scheduled for sentencing. For a not guilty plea, a date will be set for a trial.

Prosecutor in Placer County

In Placer County, the prosecutor is an attorney representing Placer County. In some cases, the prosecutor may actually represent California. For the most part, the prosecutor in Placer County has discretion to both decide whether to file charges and also negotiate a potential plea deal with the defendant.

Placer County Criminal Court Locations

  • Placer County Superior Court – Bill Santucci Justice Center

    Address: 10820 Justice Center Drive, Roseville CA 95678
    Phone: 916-408-6000

  • Placer County Superior Court – Historic Courthouse

    Address: 101 Maple Street, Auburn CA 95603
    Phone: 916-408-6000

  • Placer County Superior Court – Jail Courthouse

    Address: 2775 Richardson Drive, Auburn CA 95603
    Phone: 916-408-6000

  • Placer County Superior Court – Juvenile Courthouse

    Address: 11270 B Avenue, Auburn CA 95603
    Phone: 530-745-2100

  • Placer County Superior Court – Tahoe Courthouse

    Address: 2501 North Lake Blvd, Tahoe City CA 96145
    Phone: 530-584-3460

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.